Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Alan Gross declares a hunger strike

I was saddened to read that Alan Gross will go on a hunger strike as a protest against both the governments of the U. S. and Cuba over his incarceration.

I wonder if the USAID policy makers considered the effect it might have on Alan Gross if further covert programs were run in Cuba when they were planning and funding the establishment of ZunZuneo?

I also wonder whether the Cuban government will tighten its hold on Gross in retaliation for the ZunZuneo revelation.

Gross is already in poor health, and, a little over a year ago said
I currently weigh 144 pounds. I am 5 feet, 11 inches tall. When I was arrested, my weight was approximately 254 pounds.
He summed up the reason for the hunger strike as follows:
I am fasting to object to mistruths, deceptions, and inaction by both governments, not only regarding their shared responsibility for my arbitrary detention, but also because of the lack of any reasonable or valid effort to resolve this shameful ordeal.
For more details on the case and what Gross did, see these posts.

-----
Update 4/11/2014

Several sources have reported that Alan Gross ended his hunger strike at the urging of his family and friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics